10 February 2012

I grew up as a Thomian



Higher and yet higher ... Shall our aim ever be. The chorus of the St. Thomas' School song. Yes, i had grown up now. But, we shall never have forgotten how we have come this far. I started my days a student in the very ground of St. Thomas' Primary School. That time I resided at Kpg Boyan, just across the Sarawak River. I started to make friends here. The best part of it, I met my best friend.

I still recall my times at the primary school. Yeah, I was among the top 3 for almost every time when the results come out. I missed that time. Yup, people are scared of me. First always goes to Jay, second was Jacob and third was me. Those days ... I won't forget every second of it. I was the first to set the legacy there. Then the name Arsyan is brought up again and again by my brothers, Amirul, Amirel and currently Amiran.

The Arsyan brothers. A new legacy. A new era. A symbol of hope.

St. Thomas' School used to be a missionary school for the catholic. However, it was change during the independence and the formation of Malaysia. It's an all-boys school, with addition of girls in the 6th Formers recently. Yet, it is still the third oldest school in Malaysia and the oldest in Sarawak. The school had experienced its golden age where most of the Sarawakian leaders, be it in politics, business and the civil service. The school produce the best product of local leaders

I still remember, running around the school compound during recess, eat packed food from home, talked about cartoons etc. It was so simple back then. Even I still remember watching Robocop movies on saturday night. Play power rangers action figures, Luke Skywalker and most of all play computer games with Windows 95 OS. Damn, that's old school.

When I enter the secondary school, it still doesn't change a bit. The boys are still talking about WWE Raw & Smackdown. And every monday, during class, we talked about the WWE pay-per-view event that showed once a month. Especially the Wrestlemania and Royal Rumble. The most anticipated event of the year. That is the 1990 born Thomians. 

Grew up as a Thomian was never complete if you didn't join its scout movement. I still remember that time. Form 3 students were conducting promotions for the new juniors. Wow !!!
I was so excited. What is a scout, what do they do, how they look like and etc. And yeah, I signed up and was given a patrol to lead when I was in Form 2 & Form 3.

I spent my times as a Thomian since 1997 up to February 2006. The great legacy of a Thomian did run inside me.

1848

2007

The premier school award

The scout movement current bulletin board

The scout bulletin board

I used to wait up here before the afternoon session class

It used to be bushes here

The newly renovated Bahasa Melayu room

It used to have a Scout Dent back here

The haunted place in St. Thomas Secondary School

Former site of the 1st Kuching Scout Group's Scout Dent

I used to camp here with my friends

The school field

The tennis court

A school in the garden. The best school award winner in 2005



The assembly hall

My Thomian precious memories:

Primary 1 (3rd place)

Primary 5 (3rd place)

Primary 3 (3rd place)

2005 debate plaque

Top 10 Student Award, 2003

PMR 2005 (6A, 2B)

UPSR 2002 (4A, 1 B)

Actually, there were more of it. I misplaced my medals for track events. I'll look into it later. :)
I missed those days ...

Indeed, I grew up as a Thomian for most of my schooling years. That 9 years memories would never be the same as it is back then. A Thomian shall aim higher as the school motto implied.

Aim Higher !




No comments: